[AusNOG] Network Monitoring Systems [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Feb 10 13:23:24 EST 2010

    0n Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:26:15AM +1000, Tim Warnock wrote:

    >> I'm interested: How do you peeps keep track of installed packages and
    >> deal with security advisories?  Is there a free solution for that?
    >
    >For Debian (and possibly any other deb based platform): cron-apt.

For FreeBSD: /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portaudit which uses the VuXML index.

e.g.

   #/usr/local/sbin/portaudit -Fda
   auditfile.tbz                                 100% of   59 kB   63 kBps
   New database installed.
   Database created: Wed 10 Feb 2010 10:35:03 WST
   Affected package: linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32
   Type of problem: linux-flashplugin -- multiple vulnerabilities.
   Reference:
   <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/3c1a672e-e508-11de-9f4a-001b2134ef46.html>

   Affected package: linux-f10-pango-1.22.3
   Type of problem: pango -- integer overflow.
   Reference:
   <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/4b172278-3f46-11de-becb-001cc0377035.html>

   2 problem(s) in your installed packages found.

   You are advised to update or deinstall the affected package(s) immediately.

  -Alex

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.