[AusNOG] iiNet update

Lee A Murphy lmurphy at leemurtech.com.au
Fri Feb 5 14:43:03 EST 2010

I think Many of us who have been watching this case from day one knew
long ago that no matter which way the verdict went the losing side would
appeal and that eventually the high court would decide the case.

I expect this case to end with amendments to the copyright act to
tighten the regulations. I only hope any overly restrictive amendments
are dumped by the Senate.

The problem is that instead of adapting to modern technology the
copyright holders through their band of thugs have chosen bullying. In
fact they wanted to win this so that they DONT have to follow the
existing law which requires ISPs to comply with lawful orders from the
court and authorities.

I expect AFACT will try to pressure the Government in order to move
closer to their desired structure. And with Conroy at the helm of IT (a
supporter of AFACT in this case) it isnt looking good for Internet
Providers in the long run

Regards

Lee