[AusNOG] iiNet update

Michael Richardson mail at mikerichardson.com.au
Thu Feb 4 16:15:15 EST 2010

I think at the very least the Judge is acutely aware that the Internet and
Bittorrent are different things. You use the Internet to get Bittorrent, you
can't use Bittorrent to get the Internet.

Well worded law creates effective understanding and interpretation. They
could go and say "iiNet provided IP transit services at Layer 3, but was not
responsible for the Layer 4 protocols that their users chose to utilise for
the illegal proliferation of copyrighted material". Sure, it might be more
accurate, but it's far from being a useful. Would you prefer that a judge
ruling on a shooting refer to it as "an act of penetrating the victims torso
with a small calibre round of ammunition that was shot through the air after
being propelled out of a gun that was held by the defendant"?