[AusNOG] [off-topic] Samsung Galaxy S

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed Dec 29 20:32:59 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Last Monday Broome's Optus repeater had issues and they had to get parts
> up from Perth (thanks to Chris Brown for the info), coincidentally
> that's also when my Samsung decided to play silly buggers. I initially
> thought there may be issues with Optus Broome repeater here because I
> have fluctuating signal strength meter readings when standing under the
> Optus repeater here, but, overall, the most annoying thing is random
> black screens and general slow performance.
>
> Similar to the trouble this lady is having:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB1b0UrX9e0
>
> Problems are intermittant enough to be annoying, ie I can't reproduce on
> cue but my phone is less than three months old, I expect it to work. I
> backed up my contacts and did a firmware upgrade last week, still
> doesn't work properley.
>
> Anyone got similar issues?
>
> In case anyone does have similar issues my details are:
> Model GT-I9000
> Firmware 2.2
> Baseband version: I9000DTJP3
> Kernel: 2.6.32.9
> Build: FROYO.DTJP5
>
> I am with VirginMobile, they use Optus mobile network.

Heh.  I suspect it's not network related.  I've got one of these and
I've been through all of it.  While upgrading to Froyo makes the
device a little better in some ways, the problem you're running into
is I/O (disk) related.

Specifically, the filesystem used for /data, /datadata etc on this
device is not the traditional JFFS2, but rather a proprietary, awful
thing called RFS.

Short answer:
1. Install "ROM Manager" (you may already have done so) from the Market.
2. install the voodoo kernel/lagfix from http://project-voodoo.org/
3. Drink.

More info why RFS is cancer and you need to get rid of that immediately:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=799931
http://www.galaxyroot.com/tag/rfs/
http://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/galaxy-s-problems-and-solutions-a-definitive-guide/

I couldn't be happier with the SGS after installing the voodoo kernel
and a 2.2 image (I'm using one of doc's ROMs), but I wouldn't
recommend it to anyone given that it comes from the factory with such
all-embracing fail.

-a