[AusNOG] Alumina vs AINS Update

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Dec 15 02:13:31 EST 2010

On 15/12/10 1:44 AM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but a) How can the *General Manager*
> distance themselves from their company's commercial decisions? and b)
> I've seen no defamation here, only a recounting of events as Skeeve has
> seen them?  IANAL, but recounting facts is not defamation?

The truth is a defence now, but it wasn't for a long time.  Plus it
would be libel, not defamation because it is written and persistent
(i.e. the archives of the list will remain online indefinitely).

Besides, Skeeve's current post just says that Mr. Raams was the
spokesperson in this case.  Since Mr. Raams has already confirmed he
discussed this case with the AFP and others, I don't see how Skeeve's
post from a fw hours ago is either libellous or defamatory.

Regards,
Ben