[AusNOG] Best Open-Source Flow analyzer tools

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Mon Dec 13 15:52:07 EST 2010

Hi Shaun,

I Have used Manage Engine before, both free and paid and am not too impressed with the speed of it, it's just too sluggish  and is based on JAVA too.

It eventually comes up with some nice flows but I need something a little more robust that wont go into a 45 minute death spiral when a dataset gets too large.

PMACCT is awesome for sniffing and generating / aggregating / exporting flows.

I have been looking at PMACCT recently and it looks like it can export netflow V9 which categorises IPv6 traffic and MPLS Traffic as well as boring old IPv4.
Being able to use it as the reflector to tag AS's into the path information is kind of vital for a third party collector, and so far is the only flow-sniffer/generator / exporter that isn't based on the equipment where the flows are traversing to generate the flow info.

Step 1 in a Ghetto Flow exporter in my mind is Definitely PMACCT, but then where to export the info to, and how to visualise it is the next hard part.

I have the choice to code something myself for the flows, but then I realised I'd rather be fishing, so am looking to rig something up as the viewer  side of things.

Command line is great and all but I'm getting older and smarter(lazier) and realise that looking at fast moving and self updating graphs is easier than frantically typing lots of stuff. (And looks great on a feature wall).

After a link from another punter off-list, I followed through wth some googling and came up with

http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/index.html

As a few freeby tools. Not all are open source though.

Flowscan looks like it might do the trick, but might need some updating to display the RRD's a little nicer.
http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/flowscan.html

S.