[AusNOG] Urgent - Pacnet NOC contact (with BGP clue)

PRK ausnog at digitaljunkie.net
Sun Dec 12 13:30:54 EST 2010

On 12 December 2010 08:47, Curtis Raams <craams at staff.ains.net.au> wrote:

> Firstly I will make the point that I am a networking, software and systems
> engineer. I am not a lawyer, and do not have the capacity to assess the
> legal claims and make determinations pertaining to them.
>
> None the less, I am deeply saddened that Steve Skeeves has felt the need to
> involve me personally in his clients commercial dispute with AINS.
> I work at AINS exclusively in the capacity of ICT Manager and have no
> authority to intervene with this commercial dispute.

Ah, you're just following orders, right?

Out of curiosity, whose idea was it to poison the routing table with /24s?

It doesn't sound like the kind of thing a commercial person would come up
with. It would have required a technical person who understands BGP and more
specific routes over-riding less specific to suggest the idea, then
implement the configuration.

It's one thing to continue advertising a client's /20s, but quite another to
deliberately put in shorter prefixes.

I'd seriously question the ethics & morality of any tech who suggested
and/or implemented said route poisoning.

prk.