[AusNOG] Flogging a dead horse

Tim McCullagh technical at halenet.com.au
Mon Aug 16 16:08:57 EST 2010

Well I am very glad you wrote that because I can demonstrate how it is not only not applicable to the topic at hand, but it also demonstrate very poor business planning as well.

The anology below is flawed because you are assumming everyone needs to pull the cart with ever increasing loads which is not the case.  Your analogy is like saying everyone in the subrban street needs a mini bus because one family in the street had 7 children.  That is clearly not the case with broadband.  Some in the street may have a pony and some may have a push bike.  Some may require an always on connection with speed not important, whereas others may require speed.

On the issue of financial viability and business planning, the local taxi company doesn't purchase minibuses to pick up all their fares.  They have some mini buses and some commodores and falcons, because some customers want something different and it is more economical to increase their demand by having different choices and minimising costs by deploying more efficient vehicles for different tasks.  This is the same choice that customers will make to.  Many of these customers are non technical people that want to access email and a small amount of web surfing and perhaps a little voip.   What suits them best is generally what suits their budget.  With mobility becoming ever more important to some customers, then some are substituting their mobile products as fixed line replacements.

I guess the debate has come down to the differences in perspective from those that sign the front of the cheques and those that sign the backs.  More importantly those that sign the backs of the cheques have not been told how much they are going to have to put on the front of the cheques they sign to have access.  It is at this point that some will be informed enough to make a choice and will then be in the front of the cheque category at which time their financial ability to pay will influence the decission (reality will set in).  For some of us we may not balk at $100 or more per month, but we are not the majority and our demand will not make NBN economical.   The whole business case comes down to takeup.  The more capital that is spent the higher will be the monthly charges necessary to gain the required return.  The same applies to takeup.  The larger the takeup the cheaper it will be to get the return.  The issue then becomes how to maximise takeup.  At present there are a number of alternatives like ADSL, mobile wireless, fixed wireless etc.  Even tough the question has been asked many times I have never seen an answer to the question "what percentage of ADSL customers are asking for the highest speed as their demand priority?"  or is it that people sign up to plans they can afford.  This will very much determine the take up.  Many want the fastest speeds but when it comes to capacity to pay choose other plans. There is not a snow flakes chance in hell that the NBN pricing once the political games are played out will be cheaper than the current ADSL offerings.  It is a major investment and will require a higher price to pay for it.   The danger with NBN is that many won't have the ability to pay which will drive more onto the mobile wireless networks and degrade the quality of service on mobile wireless networks.  Some much for providing solutions for the future.  NBN risks driving demand from the current fixed networks to the mobile networks making even incremental upgrades uneconomic in the fixed network.  The trend of fixed to mobile substitution has been happening for some time.

regards

Tim