[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

Daniel Mullins daniel at xceedit.com.au
Sat Aug 14 18:17:16 EST 2010

It seems that the people who don’t care are already on awesome connections.  20mb down and 2.5 up, yeah i would pay $300 a month for that for my personal use, but i cant buy it because im too far from the exchange.  I get 4mb/0.8mb.  Wireless is not the answer (it also seems no  one is comparing apples with apples either.  12mb wireless would be equivalent to 6mb fibre as the 12mb is shared both ways, where the fibre is sync.  They should be spruiking the fibre connection as 200mb or 2gb connections), as wireless is contended and also prone to interference.  The main problem I see with the NBN is they should be rolling it out regional first, then metro.  Start with the people who have the crappy connections, they are more likely to take the service up.  The people who are in metro areas don’t care because they have fibre or are close to the exchange and get high speed adsl.

My 2c

Regards,

Daniel Mullins