[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Fri Aug 13 14:57:39 EST 2010

On 13/08/2010, at 2:11 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> I really want, given I have some kids, to have a broadband future here in Oz.   I'd like to not have bandaid after bandaid that is the current suggestions.   I'd REALLY like to have a vibrant communications industry with a lot of options for local loops/backhaul etc.

Time will solve that problem for you - given another change of government it is unlikely that they'll still be kids by the time any broadband plan is fully executed.

Keep in mind that there were kids in regional areas starting high-school in 2007 (when the government of the day announced the previous national broadband plan) who may be leaving school soon never having had access to a broadband connection at home. Ask them whether they care if it's 12 megs or 100.

The wrong solution may not be better than no solution at all, but it's still a better result than the wasteful flip-flopping between different plans that stifle other investment.

John