[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!"(wasRe:Longlive the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Chris Chaundy chris.chaundy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:02:56 EST 2010

Just for the 'younger' members of this group, there once was a
government department
that was basically in charge of *all* communications (telephone,
postal and telegraph -
watch some black-and-white movies if you want to know what this is :-)
- it was called
the PMG (Post Master General's department).  Telecom came into being
after this was
split up into the pre-privatization 'Telstra' and Australia Post (aka Auspost).

Also, do I need to remind people that while this list is inhabited by
ISP-types, the NBN
is not solely about the Internet - it will become a whole lot more
over time.  Simply trying
to shoe-horn everything into the Internet may be a poor technical
choice - remember ATM
was trying to be everything for everyone and what happened there...).

If the original Telstra privatization had been carefully thought
through and not screwed up,
we wouldn't be going through this whole NBN discussion now.

Now back to work...