[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (was Re: Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Aug 13 08:20:15 EST 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Andrew Oskam wrote:
>
> > I also dislike that people either forget or assume that the Internet
> > will be the same in 10 or 20 years.

Some of us remember the Internet before HTTP, and what it was like to
have shared access it over 9600bps.

> Well said.  We're at the beginning of the information revolution not the
> end of it.  In 100 years people might be able to start to draw conclusions
> about the ultimate impact on civilisation.  Until then we're all just
> along for the ride.

You may be "along for the ride" if you're not a network operator,
however most of the people on this list have to build it (layer 3), and
potentially be the people who say, "Can't be done because there
isn't enough money".