[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (wasRe:Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Aug 12 15:18:14 EST 2010

Perhaps I'm over analyzing the question, or unsure of what exactly you're asking.

Regulatory certainty in this context is simple: a guarantee that a government-owned entity with practically limitless capital and with super-carrier privileges won't steamroll my regional telco deployment into financial oblivion.

Even a guarantee that if I deploy infrastructure as per NBNco specification which is then absorbed into the network for a price that allows me to make *reasonable* profit during my investment period would be enough to justify expenditure (this also frees up NBNco capital in the short term, allowing them to focus on the development of critical infrastructure whilst competent telcos build parts of the network where it is most needed).

What investor in their right mind would release funds to build regional telecommunications infrastructure in the knowledge that there's a strong chance it will be worth nothing before that investment is amortized?