[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (was Re:Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Aug 12 14:25:55 EST 2010

On 12/08/2010, at 1:39 PM, Curtis Bayne wrote:

I do not deny that we need to focus on regional telecommunications, but I firmly believe that the NBN is not the answer. The government can build regional backhaul networks and let ISPs deliver the local loop (via FTTP, WLL, copper, whatever is most effective). The market will set demand, the regional blackspot issues resolved and we've spent a hell of a lot less than a metro FTTP network which duplicates what's already covered by 1xCopper, 2xHFC, 4xMobile and countless fixed wireless providers.

So, to go back to Tim's point "... if there's regulatory certainty" for people to invest.   Explain to me how you'd achieve this to give enough certainty to allow genuine investment and overbuild in regional areas as well as metro?

MMC