[AusNOG] "i want a pony!" (was Re: Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

David Mitchell me at shutupdave.com
Thu Aug 12 10:27:43 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 19:59, Mark Smith wrote:
> So where are the use cases with that sort of detail? My question from
> this morning was to see if people on this list, who know what people
> use networks for, could provide cases for or against 100Mbps, or 1Gbps.
> Some people have come close, by pointing out applications that may use
> up to 20Mbps - but that's a long way from 100Mbps, and, as I said
> earlier, lets borrow another $5BN to get 1Gbps if we can if there are
> cases for it. *Are there cases for it*? The ephemeral cases quoted for
> 100Mbps are equally applyable to 1Gbps! If we're trying to keep up with
> the International Joneses, at nearly any cost (which from my financial
> perspective is what $43BN is), then I want to keep up with the Swedish
> Joneses, pronounced "Lothberg".

Looks like we will be keeping up with the Lothbergs:
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/nbn-to-announce-huge-increase-in-speed-20100812-1205s.html

"The national broadband network will enable speeds of one gigabit per
second on its fibre optic network ... the company building the network
will announce today."

"Increasing the speed would not add to the $43 billion construction
price tag ... Mr Quigley said."

Cheers,
Dave