[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Aug 11 17:16:30 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010, at 2:50 PM, David Connors wrote:

All of those poor buggers behind RIMs and pair gain are definitely in need of something better, but I doubt my life in inner city Brisbane is going to be revolutionised by speeds that allow me to burn through my monthly quote in 1 hour instead of 3.

Quite -- and that's the other part of the "I want a pony, with a rainbow-coloured mane!"
story that's never really addressed:

The NBN isn't going to make quotas go away.

Now, even if the great unwashed masses don't understand it, those of us
on this list know full well that a customer's bandwidth requirements are
related to the quota they've decided to purchase -- NOT to their port speed.

I guarantee that if I put someone on a 50 Gbyte plan onto a 100 Mbps NBN
port, they'll use the Internet in exactly the same way that they use it when
they have a 50 Gbyte quota on a 6 Mbps DSL port.

NBN boosters can make whatever arguments they like about non-Internet
uses of the NBN, but they're always going to be tiny niche markets (which
the rest of us will be subsidizing, as Graeme pointed out).  The overwhelmingly
dominant use of the NBN will be to deliver internet access.

With quotas.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au> (W)