[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Greg M gregm at servu.net.au
Wed Aug 11 15:33:13 EST 2010

Hi Grahame,

My place of work would gladly pay that cost for me to be able to work ($5k
NBN build up front) from home, however they wouldn't fit a bill of say $50k+
if someone say Nextgen or Amcom/PIPE - whoever, was to lay fiber direct to
my house if there wasn't an NBN. From a consumer perspective, If I had a
quotation to put fiber into a new house for $5k - I would do it, but I agree
with you that the average 2+2 family wouldn't, especially on a single or
restricted income - but given an alternative of $1k for a FTTN network, if
they were forced to choose between the two - clearly they would chose the
cheaper option, but again its difficult, because the networks aren't apples
and apples.

What I want to understand, is that both parties plans involve using taxpayer
money  - one is more futuristic and inherently expensive, but the other is
the "economic" option, yet doesn't do anything about replacing the copper
bottleneck. If a FTTN network could offer 100Mbps synchronous connectivity
over VDSL2+ or some new technology, and save the $35bn on having to roll
fiber into everyone's house - I'd be all for that - as there are many better
places that money could be diverted into, such as Mental Health, etc. but
promising 12Mbps national broadband network for $6bn is pointless as for my
situation its only going to provide double the download speed, and no upload
speed improvement, compared with a FTTH which would increase my
upload/download by (ISP permitting) 20-50 times.

After reading peoples responses to my original post from last night, I
realise that there is more to it than I had originally thought through, but
I still think that 100Mbps NBN is better than a 12Mbps NBN, cost not
withstanding.

Either way - I don't even know if all of this will even be resolved in this
election - how long is it going to take the next govt to either ramp up
NBNco, or sell it, may depend on what legislation is required to roll out
the respective networks, infrastructure and regulation.

Greg