[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Tim McCullagh technical at halenet.com.au
Wed Aug 11 14:56:36 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Silvester" <sam.silvester at gmail.com>

"If the Govt is going to spend _any_ billions of dollars, be it 7 or
something higher, I really don't want to be doing that to have a
"guaranteed" speed that's _less_ that what I'm getting now, how short
sighted is that?"

Who would even think that the speed is going to be slowed

Everyone needs to recognise that the 12 Mbps is the slowest speed and that
will in all likelihood apply in regional areas where the cost is so
expensive that no other option is available.

As I stated in an earlier response there are 2 cable networks in Sydney
Melbourne Brisbane and other places that will support upgrade to 100 Mbps at
minimal cost.  So why on earth would you trash those networks and spend a
lot more money to achieve a similar result, unless there was demonstrated
demand and customer willingness and ability to pay.?

Since I responded this morning I have since realised that Paul Fletcher is
now in the coalition and as an ex Optus exec I guess he would have had a
great deal of input into the coalitions plans.   That to me suggests that
the coalition has more industry experience in this area than Conroy will
ever have.  It also suggests he may have vendor and other industry contacts
that have helped with the coalitions plans.   Until we see the detail we are
in no position to either embrass or reject the plan.   Although in saying
that if the coalition has someone of Paul fletchers calibre I would probably
give them the benefit of the doubt that they has some idea.

regards

Tim