[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Aug 11 13:50:42 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010, at 12:39 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> On 11/08/2010 11:45 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
>> On 11/08/2010, at 9:07 AM, Paul Brooks wrote:
>>

>>> This 'policy' appears to be badly thought out back-of-envelope numbers
>>> that simply doesn't add up.
>>>
>> As opposed to the Govt's alternative, which is fully costed, planned within
>> an inch of its life, and run by a department that has all the answers.
>>
>> Thanks for clearing that up :-)
>>
> Lol - point well made Mark.  I think the difference for me is that these
> coalition numbers don't seem to be sufficient to deliver on their
> promised outcome. The Gov'ts alternative, with the headline '$43B'
> attached to it (and significantly less than this - perhaps a quarter,
> perhaps more - as actual government injection) seems on most analysis to
> be an upper bound.

That suggests that you'd have given the coalition policy a fairer airing if
they'd (say) put a $30b pricetag on it.

Given that the analysis required to "make shit up" like that is no more
complicated than the analysis Rudd and Conroy performed on the plane to
Melbourne last April, perhaps that'd give us the apples-for-apples comparison
everyone is whinging about :-)

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)