[AusNOG] Time for AusSOG I think (was Re: Happy Sysadminday)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Aug 3 01:05:59 EST 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> I agree pretty much.
>
> The artificial divide between those who move information and those who
> process it and store it is arbitrary and artificial.

Wow this is a cheering me up on a Monday morning :)

I've been quite concerned about the apparent divergence of skills within
IT in recent years.  The 'split' between a system admin & a network admin
is a good example of this.

Computer systems & networks are so interwined at many levels that I think
any division is arbitrary (as you say).

Afterall - who said the 'system' in system administration refers to a
single computer system.  The entire network owned by an organisation is
itself a system, as is the Internet.

How can someone be a good sysadmin if they don't understand networking
properly?  They need to have a deep understanding of network protocols at
every layer if they are going to have a chance of actually solving the
complex problems that arise with modern systems and networks.

There seems to be a significant difference in how recruiters (and some
companies) view the concept of a 'sysadmin' vs how I would do so.

IMHO an experienced sysadmin is someone who can construct (and then
manage) an arbitrarily complex network with a variety of systems and
applications all on their own - the only constraint should be their time.

SAGE-AU has discussed a name change in recent months, and even whether the
term 'system administrator' itself has been lost.  If recruiters and
employers continue to take a narrow view of the term then it loses value.

> Being successful in our industry is about integration - understanding
> and being successful in the art and science of taking all the components
> (software, systems, storage, networks, datacentres, commercial and
> legal) and building the best services.

Well said.

Cheers,

Rob