[AusNOG] Time for AusSOG I think (was Re: Happy Sysadminday)

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Aug 2 16:20:10 EST 2010

--- afort at choqolat.org wrote:
> Over recent times I have seen a distinct divergence in the skill sets
> of competent network operators/engineers/admins that is IMHO less than
> helpful. People on the networking side have had somewhat of a fixation
> on routers, ethernet switches and some related gear (eg voice or
> transmission kit) to the detriment of the rest of the stuff that make
> networks work: DNS, NTP, crucial databases, radius, OSS, web and mail
> servers. These things are essential and most of the new network
> elements that gradually make their way as mainstream gear start their
> life as unix based systems, especially protocol gateways.

Completely.  I've often fought with managers in previous lives who
want their network admins to be solely focused on the network and have
no other training.  These people (always men) have always been wrong
and they've always wondered why they don't get the results they want
from their staff.

No, managers that do not understand this are from both genders.  Put folks in a box and keep them there.  Easier to understand what it is they're managing when they don't have trust in the engineers or background in the technical area they're managing.  Currently, certs are vendor lockins to the box.  We need vendor neutral certs.

scott