[AusNOG] Time for AusSOG I think (was Re: Happy Sysadminday)

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Mon Aug 2 15:31:19 EST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Mark Prior <mrp at mrp.net> wrote:
> On 2/08/10 1:28 PM, Narelle wrote:
>
>> One of the assertions is that installing ROADMs (reconfigurable
>> optical add drop muxes) will muck up future ultra high bandwidth
>> systems that will be required between future data centres.
>
> I would imagine that you would still need them if you want to add or
> drop along the path but not if they are just acting as an optical amplifier.
>
> Mark.

Right.  Perhaps the lesson from Vijay is if you're building your own
fibre network and you have billions of dollars of capital, you should
just build point-to-point everywhere you need (over DWDM via 10G LAN
PHY) and stick high capacity Ethernet routers (with big buffers, such
as the Arista stuff) to do your "drops", since that SoNET stuff is for
dinosaurs. :-).

Less sarcastically, network scaling goes well beyond equipment choice
and volume - it's more about how you deploy, track, manage and
visualise the network.  His employer has a team doing great work here.

-a