[AusNOG] Rudd shelves Filtering legislation

David Keegel djk at cybersource.com.au
Fri Apr 30 13:35:05 EST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:12:36PM +0930, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 29/04/2010, at 6:34 PM, Narelle wrote:
>
> > http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/rudd-retreats-on-passing-web-filter-legislation/story-e6frgakx-1225859630452
>
> Seen it, don't believe it.

I find the article a lot easier to make sense of if you ignore the
words "retreat", "backburner" and "shelved" in the headline and first
sentence.

Aside from that, everything else in the article looks to me
consistent with :
	Government is still working on mandatory ISP filtering,
	but timelines have slipped, it will take longer than
	expected to work out the details, so the legislation
	may take something like 3/6/12 months to be introduced.

I would not be surprised if the legislation was introduced in
Spring 2010 (assuming an election has not been called by then).

But I cannot see it being passed until there is a new Senate
(probably July 2011 unless there is a double dissolution),
unless the Liberals agree to let it pass.

> If Rudd doesn't bring him into line, we can safely assume that Conroy
> isn't actually speaking out of turn, and that Rudd's censorship policy ain't
> dead until it's lying in a pool of its own blood with a spear sticking out
> of its eye socket.

It looks like its not so much dead as a bit delayed, and won't be
legislated (at least, not passed) in 2010 before the election.