[AusNOG] NBN Co Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 Services

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 11:39:14 EST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Daniel Hood <dsmhood at gmail.com> wrote:
> They are putting in a multicast network?
>
> Is it just like the MBone (or whatever they used to call it)?

Nothing like the mbone (multicast backbone). The mbone was an overlay
network that was multicast enabled and landed mostly in universities.

wikipedia seems to be fairly accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbone

NBN Co, from what I can unravel so far, is intending to use some of
the newer features in GPON gear to make it multicast aware. I'm still
struggling with how this would work, and have some concerns about the
stability and interoperability of any such implementation. The
intention is to facilitate IPTV.

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com