[AusNOG] OT: Regulator rings the changes for telcos, isps - WARNING, POTENTIAL FLAMEBAIT

lists technical at halenet.com.au
Thu Apr 22 21:00:35 EST 2010

RE: [AusNOG] OT: Regulator rings the changes for telcos, isps - WARNING, POTENTIAL FLAMEBAITFrom: Curtis Bayne

  "To me this is no more than the government interfering further in a market it doesn't understand, and won't even bother to try."

  Absolutely Correct

  "<opinion>I think the NBN is bullshit. "

  Absolutely Correct   +1      It is political not good policy.

  there, I said it out loud. Now that I've ruined any potential employment prospects in the AU telecoms industry henceforth, let's continue. I fail to see why we are attempting to replicate networks which are already being commercially deployed. ISPs are installing infrastructure anywhere and everywhere that is commercially viable, because it is in their (or their shareholders) best interests to do so. This is the nature of capitalism. Capitalism is good, mmkay?"

  Absolutely Correct

  "The regional back-haul project is costing a fraction of the NBN and will provide tangible benefits to consumers (with increased speeds and reduced cost) far before a consumer is connected to the NBN network. It enables retail ISPs to install competitive infrastructure in areas which have previously been serviced only by the monopoly provider. This is a good thing."

  Absolutely Correct

  " Surely retail ISPs with their own infastructure should be excited by the proposition that they will be capable of deploying infrastructure to areas where there is no competition other than Telstra Wholesale? Am I the ONLY one who thinks that this is the opportunity of the decade? "

  No but you would be a bloody idiot to roll out anything (FTTH wise) while NBN is on the table.  If there is one thing I have learnt, it is that you can't beat government money, and the governments ability to change the regulations.  The feds would be better off getting their competition regulations sorted out, then letting the market develop solutions.  They need to have some patience.  Local government has a role to play as well

  Once this fibre is in, you can begin amortizing your DSLAM investment before NBNCo can even put their last-mile fibre in the ground - there is no way they could ever compete with you!

  Yes there is it.  NBN will be backed by government money and the government makes the rules.

  Perhaps if we spent a few billion dollars building a national, regional back haul network capable of servicing major town/transit routes, we would have a national, regulated carriage duopoly: this would encourage independent providers to begin building their own fibre routes in areas where they have previously been unable to justify expenditure due to a lack of return - especially in places like Maroochydore, Darwin etc. Customers that are outside of these regional centers will end up serviced by independent wireless ISPs - these ISPs now have access to competitive carriage some ~200KM away, which is only a few microwave hops away. Capitalism again: if there's money in it, someone will do it.

  Absolutely Correct.  I hope someone in DBCDE is reeading your response, I have been saying the same to them for years

  As far as I can see, if we pursue this avenue, we will end up with the following outcomes:

  1. An easily justifiable return on investment for "BackhaulCo" (our tax dollars do not go to waste!)
  2. Delivery of high-speed services to regional areas (fulfilling the goals of NBNCo).
  3. Does not sever the investment that current providers have put in their own infrastructure (this will make many providers happy)
  4. Will most likely (in time) deliver a FTTP network when a commercial provider deems they are able to amortize their investment (or we'll end up stuck with HFC - either way, we get our 100Mbps to the home)
  5. Encourages smaller ISPs in regional areas, creating jobs and bolstering the local economy (and keeps me in business)
  6. Only marginally pisses Telstra off (could be considered a disadvantage!)
  7. Encourages mobile carriers like Voda/Optus to deploy 3G infastructure in rural areas (more healthy competition in these areas and a kick in the pants for the NextG monopoly).
  8. Stops Curtis from making page-long rants on a public mailing list (good for AusNOG in general).
  </opinion>

  AusNOG - tell my why I'm an idiot and I will happily listen.

  Your not an idiot, this is really the first sensible, well thought out email I have seen on the subject.  Excluding point 8.  Well Done!!!!!!

  If NBN is ever built I can see us all paying for it.   I remember a number of years ago an ISP telling me that he organised a sprint 4MB link fo 20 % of what I could get it from Telstra.  When he asked Telstra why I couldn't get it he was told a mistake was made and that Telstra would charge sprint more.  He went back to sprint and they said they would honour the price regardless, in fact they wanted Telstra to charge them more.  Aparently Telstra and Sprint had a contract that allowed each party to charge the same anount as the other party to the contract.  It is funny how competition can sort these issues out and the results.  NBN will be able to set what ever price they like, while ever the government is the owner.  Just like power and water.  The ACCC won't stop government owned businesses the same way it does to private companies

  regards

  Tim
  HaleNET