[AusNOG] NBN Co Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 Services

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Apr 22 17:27:28 EST 2010

Skeeve - as far as ISOC-AUs view, refer to the two submissions
Submission on the NBN Consultation Paper: Proposed Wholesale Fibre
Bitstream Products
<http://www.isoc-au.org.au/Submissions/NBNCo_Feb2010FINAL.pdf> and
Summary to the Senate Select Committee: ISOC-AU Submissions on the NBN
<http://www.isoc-au.org.au/Submissions/NBN_Senate_March10.pdf>.

Both include the statement "ISOC-AU is concerned that by restricting
itself to a Layer 2 focus, the opportunities will be
reduced to adopt optimal approaches to Internet security and ensuring
the broadest
possible access to innovative Internet services. ISOC-AU sees that the
ideal approach is
one where NBN Co provides layer 2, aggregated layer 2 and layer 3 services."

In these papers, the preference for Layer 3 is expressed as a desire for
NBN to be able to do multicast, which necessarily requires a Layer-3
appreach to understand IGMP spoofing (v4) and the equivalent in IPv6. I
encourage you to read through both these.

As far as Tony's statements to the Senate Select Committee - I'll pass
your views along, I've expressed some similar concerns.
In fairness, I know that its very difficult to be clear in these live
hearings, when everything is taken down verbatim  - I know when I have
fronted up for these things, I read some of things I actually said and
think "hang on, I didn't quite mean it like that" (and I don't suggest
for a moment that Tony thinks the same way about the things said recently).

My personal view (NOT the ISOC-Au view) as expressed in another forum is:

/The plan for the NBN has always addressed Layer 3 - by explicitly
acknowledging that the NBNCo services should not and would not stand in
the way or inhibit the delivery of Internet or private Layer 3 services
in any way, by limiting itself to providing only lower-layer conduits to
service providers, and staying transparent to layer-3 protocol exchanges.
/
or more succinctly:

/The NBN enables the effective delivery of layer-3 and IPv6 - by staying
out of the way.

/IAMEMS might be a good place to debate this a bit further amongst
ISOC-AU members.
Paul.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355