[AusNOG] OT: Regulator rings the changes for telcos, isps - WARNING, POTENTIAL FLAMEBAIT

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Apr 22 16:00:06 EST 2010

I agree entirely, and thank you for sharing your opinion publicly. My personal opinion is that the OPEL project was a pragmatic way to improve rural telecoms with minimal investment (comparatively) without interfering with the complex and fragile telecommunications industry.

Had it not been scrapped by the government, the OPEL project would be delivering tangible benefits to consumers TODAY. That boat has sailed and what a shame. OPEL on a national scale would be the best of both worlds. Layer 2/Layer 3: that's the job of the VAR. Want to build a regional telehouse for DR? Easy. There's still a place for small, regional ISPs (which appeals to the silo mentalities in regional areas - no pun intended) as well as larger service providers with their economy of scale. Everyone goes home happy.