[AusNOG] List charter Vs Reporters on the list

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Thu Apr 15 10:37:23 EST 2010

All,

I personally have no issue with our friends in the journalism community being on this list.  I can only dream about a day when we complain that the tech journalists in this country are too well educated  :)  The list charter also has nothing to say on who can join the list or read the information we distribute over this list.  Graham al at CommsDay have been associated with AusNOG for years and we value their support.  They also participate openly on this list and use any information available here appropriately.  As Graham stated, if 10 people here mention an Optus outage he may chase the carrier.  To my knowledge he and his team don't chase the individuals on this list.

The list charter is pretty clearly written.  If people on this list approach people directly as a result of their participation on this list then they are in breach of the charter.  Sales people SHOULD NOT hound list members unless they specifically ask for sales contact off-list.  The same applies to journalists.  If you write an email it's public by definition but it doesn't give every press hound on the planet a right to ring your office looking for an exclusive.

Personally I think this list works quite well.  The signal to noise ratio remains quite high which can always be a problem as the size of a list increases.  Happy to discuss other opinions but I don't see a reason to change things.  What list members could do however is post to the list when they are hassled directly by sales folk, journo's etc etc.  The "public shaming" may reduce the frequency.  It will also let us see what's going on so that action against individual list members can be taken if it's appropriate.

Thank

David