[AusNOG] List charter Vs Reporters on the list

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Wed Apr 14 18:09:49 EST 2010

> Maybe we start a closed ausnog-ops list which isn't so open? :)

I think this is a great idea.

My observation given the evolution of this type of list in this country over a long period of time, would be that there is progressively more and more people whose only interest is to receive technical, "seed" if you will type information from the list for their own purposes. They do not offer anything significant of value in terms of responding to requests for assistance, discuss current operational and industry related issues ( or any of the the items stated in the AusNOG charter ) .

The resulting degree of openness within the members, and willingness to begin a thread, ask for assistance etc, is clearly reduced from the times of old. I'm not saying we should go back to the kind of slanging matches that existed on those lists either -  BUT - maybe we need to ask ourselves, with regards to "ops" type threads, and technical "NOG" openness - is the current constituency of this list based on the outcomes, really conducive with the aims of the list? Would you go to a technical "NOG" style gathering and talk to your peers over a beer with a reporter sitting there with a notepad and pen? It hardly promotes openness amongst technical operators and that is very disappointing.

It's like there is this network community yardstick you can call upon, but have to temper your use of that yardstick for fear of reporter's running off with something you have said. I certainly don't want reporters calling up provider's I'm mentioning in emails placing relationships under stress, just because they think they have a story that would be good for the paper, when all I'm trying to do is go hey, do you see what I see? If network operators are unhappy, they will solicit the media, and this blatant disregard of the charter with regards to significant operational issues, seems to be an ongoing issue.

When you are under fault condition, adding reporters and the issues they create to the mess you already have at hand, is just ridiculously disrespectful.

I think in some cases, people make posts because they are looking for something outside the scope of the process and procedures they have. We can all fall back on our fault management processes, but we are looking for a more direct route to other people "in the know". Reporters and sales droids should not be riding those coat tails at the pointy end of the operational biz, just to be "in the know"

My 2c.

Kind regards,