[AusNOG] Quigley announces architectural "stake in the ground"

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Sep 21 17:25:00 EST 2009

GPON has multiple L2 modes - ATM is one, Ethernet is another etc.

MMC

On 20/09/2009, at 10:49 PM, Mark A. Grinceri wrote:

> I'm surprised that NBN Co is thinking about using GPON which is ATM
> based rather than the ethernet based EPON. Yes you can have multiple
> VC's  on GPON but the lower equipment cost and lack of ATM cell tax
> coupled with now higher line rates of 10G EPON surely make this a
> better option. Anyone want to change my thinking?
>
> On 16/09/2009, at 3:43 PM, Narelle wrote:
>

>> hot of the press...
>> Quigley offers ISPs a rough sketch of NBN architecture
>> NBN Co has developed a rough architecture for the build-out of the
>> National Broadband Network in an attempt to keep ISPs and carriers
>> in the loop as to how their services will intersect with it.
>> See: http://www.itnews.com.au/News/155871,quigley-offers-isps-a-rough-sketch-of-nbn-architecture.aspx/0
>>
>> It looks like a layer 2 GPON network with ethernet backhaul over
>> classical transmission gear, presenting to service providers from
>> centralised locations. Each premises will have an ONT with multiple
>> ports so there can be physical separation of services. He says this
>> is merely a "stake in the ground" and will consult with ISPs.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Narelle
>> narellec at gmail.com

Matthew Moyle-Croft
Networks, Internode/Agile
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909