[AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Quigley announces architectural "stakein the ground"

Bob Purdon Bob.Purdon at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Sep 17 11:15:10 EST 2009

> As long as the ONTs support battery monitoring remotely I think
solutions can be found.

It's more about the cost of having to visit those things periodically.

I guess there's two approaches - the meter reading approach, where you
visit every ONT in a given area and just replace the batteries anyway.
Not a particularly green approach as you'll be replacing some that just
didn't need it.

Then there's the monitoring approach, where you visit every ONT only as
needed.  Less batteries to replace, but more time travelling around to
random addresses.

I wonder if there's a super-capacitor type technology that could be used
rather than a more conventional battery, which would last as long as the
ONT itself and never require replacing?

> Let's face it, if we have change from $43b we could fit solar cells to
each ONT and
> make it a green NBN :-)

I was pondering that earlier...  I'm wondering how the collective power
consumption (with all those powered ONT's) will look in comparison to a
PSTN/DSL world...

But that's getting a bit off track from the layer-2/3 stuff that I
expect most here are primarily interested in :-)