[AusNOG] New /21 on Bogan / Delinquent Lists

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Sep 16 13:46:53 EST 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Shaun Dwyer wrote:

> What happened to the APNIC de-bogon project?

"Reachability and routability testing of the new prefixes will commence
soon. The daily report will be published at the usual URL:

http://www.ris.ripe.net/debogon"

> I'd argue that APNIC's should be pro-active in de-bogon'ing prior to
> allocating the IP space. The range should be at least 90% routable
> prior to being allocated.

> It shouldn't be left to the poor network operators who get assigned
> new IPs to contact NOCs and get it de-listed.

So you want them to make a guarantee of routability. What should they
do if they have unallocated address space but cannot meet that 90%
mark? How much extra money are you prepared to pay APNIC to provide
this service for you?

> Additionally, it wouldn't take much to do this testing. A single
> linux server with some scripts and quagga is all it'd take.

But a more robust system is already in place.

> In the case mentioned below about telstra's SMTP servers blocking
> the allocated range... that should be done with prefix lists at BGP
> peering points, not at firewall/application level.
>
> RSS feed for bogon list anyone?

You can easily get bogon information in all sorts of formats from lots
of different sources. You can grab the IANA registries in XML, XHTML
or text, get the RIRs' daily stats files in csv five different formats
from Team Cymru.

http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/

The problem isn't access to the information it is that each router,
mail server or CGI script is administered by its owner and not by a
registry.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda