[AusNOG] Possible DDoS attack against .augovernmentalsites-~65minutes from now.

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Sep 10 06:29:40 EST 2009

As they do me.

I am hoping and praying for a change of government or at least direction in the upcoming year. If not for our civil rights, for my back pocket - the cost of filtering equipment will hurt us greatly, especially with our economy the way it's been.

I think the cost of internet filtering is not something to be ignored: for a company of our size this is not just an expense on our balance sheet, it's something that directly affects our bottom line. $50,000 (or more?) worth of hardware, supporting infastructure and integration could be the difference to whether I can afford to put my daughter through private school or not - and we lucky that we are at a stage where we would be able to absorb such a cost. An upfront cost of this magitude certainly would have broken us a year ago and will raise the barrier to entry in this industry beyond what many smaller players could afford.

Some may argue that this is a good thing, but competition breeds excellence - many larger service providers in Australia (Internode, iiNet, PIPE - and probably many others) started out as nothing more than vision, an excercize in pragmatic management and a small capital injection - will this increased barrier to entry stifle innovation in industry that thrives on just that?

I doubt I am the only person in this scenario. We're just a husband and wife team with a few talented helpers/employees/contractors - another "working family" hit by the collateral of misguidance.

Regards,
Curtis