[AusNOG] 180/8

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Oct 28 15:29:37 EST 2009

Terry,

On 28/10/2009, at 9:38 AM, Terry Sweetser wrote:

> I've noticed that the new address ranges being handed out by APNIC
> still
> exist in many bogon filters.
>
> One very annoying filter is at NetRegistry ...
>
> Seriously, with all the ipv4 space nearing exhaustion, who is still
> trying to filter "unallocated" space?

I feel your pain Terry.. we've run into all sorts of issues with our
110/8 space

  - One particular third party mail appliance that had the bogon
filter built into the appliance, and in this case mail is silently
dropped (at least on the configuration of this specific site)
  - DNS servers ignoring our responses causing mail to bounce
  - Basic connectivity issues to some providers, including to some
people using blackberry devices.
  - Lots of just general network firewalls

Right PITA.. Unfortunately it's all legacy and so even people learning
now it doesn't matter - we'll keep hitting these problems.

Fortunately we've had surprisingly good success in contacting people/
network administrators to fix up their filters.. but in the mean time
our customers are not very happy when mail goes missing which is the
main problem.  Especially when they transferred off of another
provider that "didn't have this problem".

For any new people still wanting to do this for some reason or another
- perhaps take a look at the CYMRU bogon project - http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/
One approach is to setup a BGP session with them, and then configure
an ACL to basically allow only the current list of prefixes they send
- this way they can drop routes when it makes sense but can't
accidentally send you bad new ones.  Unfortunately if you setup a
static list, you will eventually leave and people will eventually
forget about it.

Best Regards,
Trent