[AusNOG] Reference clock for SDH network

Yin To Chu yintochu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:58:23 EST 2009

I did a sync study a few years, and attended a sync course by an expert from
Europe, who wrote things for Oscillosquartz,  before on a network and there
were expensive and cheap GPS around.

Multi-port, 60 to 460 redundant ports, multi-chasis, with redundant Rubidium
clocks, etc, accurate measuring and reporting capabilities, are of course
expensive.

Single port, quartz, simple GPS, with short holding time are very cheap, a
few thousand only.

There were quite some vendors out there but some
disappeared, (Oscilloquartz, Symmetricom) are still there, but Datum,
Siemens, Chronos, Tekelec, etc, not going anywhere on GPS business. There
was a Korean company that supplied GPS to Samsung CDMA BTS, called KTA
Chongho?

We have more high end stuffs, Sym SSU-2000e, TS3600, TS3100, etc, Time
Provider 5000.

I don't think it is a good idea to take a E1 clock from elsewhere.
The more accurate Telstra E1 feed was $20K per year on PDH.

SDH E1? to clock your SDH network, will be risking the whole network
failure?

If you don't trust GPS or some people jamming it, only expensive Caesium,
Mercury standalone GPS will help.  It is $xxx,xxx.

There are some new PTP IEEE1588v2 clocks Sync over IP though.

I doubt if the budget is so tight to get a $3K GPS to clock a SDH network.

It is the heart beat network, most important, but subtle and overlooked.
A 5 day course on netsync is $xxK.

Good luck.
-------