[AusNOG] arpa.com.au.. wtf?? (telstra/optus/connect resolvers doing'in-addr.arpa.com.au' requests?!

Dan Irwin dan at jackies.com.au
Wed Nov 25 10:22:40 EST 2009

Is this behaviour from the dns resolver on windows systems?

I recall that the windows xp resolver behaves oddly in some situations.
If it cannot resolve a name, it will append some portion of the
computer's domain name to the requested name. If a lookup for
"testmachine" fails, windows will lookup "testmachine.example.com", and
finally "testmachine.com". Perhaps this behaviour happens with "reverse"
lookups too, as forward and reverse lookups are not that different.

Interestingly, I have noticed entries relating to arpa.com.au in some
logs this morning:

>    too many timeouts resolving 'arpa.com.au/NS' (in 'arpa.com.au'?):
disabling EDNS: 8 Time(s)

Regards,

Dan