[AusNOG] Data Centre Design was Internode goes Carbon Neutral

lists technical at halenet.com.au
Thu Nov 19 15:03:02 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Walker" <Bill.Walker at staff.snap.net.nz>

>But if you could use Free air cooling,
> Variable capacity cooling, cold aisle containment, more efficient PSU's
> etc you
> could significantly reduce that figure.

Personally I think that is the key, there is also the issue of free air
heating on the other side
If the DC is located in an area close to a hospital, commercial premises,
nursing home or some secure location then much of the heat generated by
equipment may then be able to be used for heating, especially if you are
pulling it out of the data centre at or above 22 degrees C.  Perhaps even
put it through heat exchangers to pre heat water in cold areas.  The issue
here is that these areas are not located where current data centres are, and
there may be resistance from an accessability point of view.  The question
is how many businesses and or their staff would be comfortable with not
having close physical access to the equipment.?

> The key I think is to find a heating/cooling design engineer who knows his
> stuff.

That is certainly an issue, because the same engineer would also need to
have an appreciation of the data centre business as well.

Regards

Tim