[AusNOG] Internode goes Carbon Neutral

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Nov 19 08:31:27 EST 2009

Power is a fickle beast, but a pertinent thing to remember (and this
is stating the bleeding obvious) is that power savings = a tanglible
and easy to calculate cost saving that is easy to justify to
management. If you're a six sigma org then talk to a black belt
somewhere - they love this optimization stuff.

Even something as simple as rearranging your racks to contain and vent
hot air can save you non-trivial amounts of money.

To use Mark's point as an example: Imagine the cost savings of
switching from a ~75% efficent full online UPS vs line interactive at
~98% efficency at 80KVA. You're throwing away 83 amps on inefficency
alone - that's about 2k a month at 14c kWh. Over the life of a typical
data room mechanical equipment replacement cycle (about 10 years from
what I have seen - this is not an exercise in best practice, it is one
of reality) this is $240k. That is a non trivial amount of money
especially when you consider the skyrocketing price of electricity
combined with my somewhat optomisic tarrif. I would not be surprised
if this was $300k or more over that length of time.

What about venting hot air if atmosphere temperatue is lower than the
outtake of the hot aisle (especially if our hot aisle is contained).

Datacentre efficency doesn't have to be hard or expensive, most of the
time it is a combination of common sense and pragmatic implimentation.

Most of the providers on this list are ISPs and not colo providers -
if you don't have an IBM or Sun mainframe on your telco/data room
floor now there's a good chance you never will - do you really need
those floors raised restricting airflow below and does your floor
really need to be at 22 degrees? Run your room to service your
requirements, not to serve an arbitary teired rating system.

Here's a secret: I run mine at 28 and have never had a heat incident.
We are not a colo so we have full visibility of these issues as they
occur. Disclosure: We are low density. Your mileage may vary. If you
break something it wasn't my fault :)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is employing of
these optimization strategies in their organization.

Sent from my iPhone