[AusNOG] Pipe Brisbane Peering Exchange traffic dropoff

Nick @ Deltaband nick at deltaband.com
Thu Nov 12 15:54:04 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009, David Hughes wrote:
>
>> No because you don't connect to a fibre provider at L3 and they don't
>> present an AS to you.
>
> Right. Then sure, they're providing transit -across- their ASN, but
> they aren't providing reachability to the internet as a whole.
> The latter is what typically is meant by "transit" versus "peering".
>
> I've heard transit being used in this confusing, overlapping but
> not quite equivalent contexts before. They aren't the same thing.

I used to work for a carrier in the UK that sold routes to one IX
(Linx) over another IX (Lonap) for a cheap cheap rate per m/bit.
Obviously that kind of behaviour isn't permitted at all IXs though.

As linx wasn't an MPLA exchange it meant a lot of the larger carriers
wouldn't peer with smaller networks that they already reached through
a peering connection. So it meant the smaller ISP's could just buy
access to all those large local networks rather than signing up for
the IX and then going through the ball ache of trying to convince the
likes of the UUNet peering steering committee that really peering is
good for everyone.