[AusNOG] AARNET and Aggregates

Jonathan Thorpe jthorpe at conexim.com.au
Wed Nov 11 22:01:41 EST 2009

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

AARNET are favouring a less specific path (i.e. preferring the /20 over
the /24). Not only that, the AS paths for the /20s are also longer than
those that they see for the /24, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The aggregation is internal - we have a large number of /28-27s that we
aggregate as /24s and export those routes (and only /24s) to the peering
networks (e.g. Equinix). The transit providers (e.g. AS703) receive the
full advertisement of /20s only (no /24s).

I tried advertising the /20s in addition to the /24s to Equinix to no avail.

The only clue I have at the moment is that this affects other networks
that peer with Equinix that also have routes that have been aggregated
at some point (in other words, they show up as "aggregated by <AS>").

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Sean K. Finn wrote:
> Do you mean that if you advertise a /20 and a /24 that the route that is preferenced is the /24 ?
>
> I.e. the more-specific route (/24) takes precedence over the aggregated route (/20) ?
>
> -Sean.

Jonathan Thorpe
Conexim Australia
www.conexim.com.au