[AusNOG] Soul/TPG buying Pipe ...

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Nov 11 17:19:25 EST 2009

The real question is who/what will be putting pressure on them -not-
to eventually be doing shenanigans.

(A lot of) those ISPs who grouped together in the past to push back against
Telstra, participated in IXes, etc, are typically large ISPs and/or "extra"
service telcos (eg doing Voice, Video, etc) and either already have pre
arranged contract(s) for PPC1 connectivity or are large enough to get good
pricing.

The smaller ISPs? Oh wait. They still exist?

It -may- be just like anti-Telstra-Internet feelings in the 90's, but with no
rabid SP owners stirring the pot, and no crowd of small ISPs left to bond
together in order to take them on.

This is just all coffee-fueled speculation and random amusement anyway.
I'm now going back to writing software to push bits. :)

Adrian

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009, Sean K. Finn wrote:
> How does the world change?
>
> The adverts on the sides of buses will say 500GB for $49.50 / Month with TPG, would be my Guess.
>
> TPG needs more international connectivity, what better way than to buy PPC1 and flog it to death.
>
> How does this affect the public peering points would be my next question?
>
> What better way for TPG to make it harder for the competition to offer generous bandwith limits than to kick some people out of the IX's.
>
> Can they do that ?

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -