[AusNOG] Pipe on front page of www.news.com.au right now

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue May 26 15:42:53 EST 2009

On 26/05/2009, at 2:29 PM, Nathan Brookfield (SAU) wrote:

> Grahame Lynch is absolutely kidding himself? AGVC + National Transit
> to Telstra and other carriers who don't peer is the major killer or
> am I just totally off the mark here?

It's not possible to operate an IP network in Australia without paying
the "GoF" tax and this effective "cartel" the ACCC created all those
years ago for domestic peering I think is something the ACCC/
Government will have to look at fairly soon.  Otherwise it's going to
constrain the growth of content delivery in Australia as the Domestic
IP price becomes the "floor" price providers have to ensure they sell
above so they don't get arbitraged.

Reach/Singtel/TNZI all quite happily peer with networks of our size
offshore (ie.  if Internode was US based, then peering on the West
Coast of the USA with all three would be fairly assured).

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Networks, Internode/Agile