[AusNOG] Issues with Cisco IOS 12.4(25) ?

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Wed May 6 08:25:41 EST 2009

On 06/05/2009, at 7:44 AM, John Lindsay wrote:

> Whatever the cause, there are less buggy, more capable platforms
> supported at least as well for less dollars but they scare staff
> because they have invested their own time to become qualified by
> Cisco.

Hey John.

IOS certainly can drive a man to drink (not that many of us need much
of an excuse ....)

I've been doing some deep investigation of the Nexus platform of late
and I must say that I'm bloody impressed.  The "clean sheet" approach
means that the software and hardware architectures address the issues
we "know and love" in IOS and the older hardware platforms.  Haven't
used them in anger yet but people who have say they work well and
reliably.  Looks like they bit the bullet and have put in the hard
yards to make this one right.  It's restored a bit of faith in Cisco's
capability.

Now, if it really as good as it looks, will they ever decide to
standardise on NX-OS across their routers as well as DC switches.
Sadly I suspect we'll see this basket case of IOS variants around for
years to come yet.

David