[AusNOG] Greylisting in an ISP / Hosting Environment

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 5 01:35:13 EST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> On 04/05/2009, at 4:01 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:
> > I use exim and only greylist borderline spam.  This way I get most of
> > my legitimate email straight away and only spam suspects get slowed
> > down.
>
> Unfortunately that approach would kill one of the benefits of
> greylisting.
>
> Most implementations do it before the data portion, and thus you save
> the traffic of being sent the email, and processing it with your anti
> spam software.

My solution is to greylist on RBL failure only, using whitelister and
postgrey for postfix. I also use fail2ban to temporarily block hosts that
get greylisted 10 times in a row, although I'm not sure how effective this is.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |