[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon May 4 07:04:12 EST 2009

Bevan Slattery wrote:

> Come on - let's do this right for a change, because if anything the past
> 5 years and three initiatives have proven, Government DOESN'T know best.

Although sometimes government has to step in, because just as many
initiatives kicked off within the industry have died due to commercial
in-fighting as everybody attempts to steer the outcome to their own view
of what benefits themselves most, and the group/industry outcome comes a
distant second. Much as I'd like to believe that if we threw the
best-and-brighest in a room and locked the door for several weeks we'd
come out with a great set of cooperative interconnection and
architecture plans, in practice in the past the herded cats flick out
the claws and the whole thing has collapsed.

Perhaps FTTH is new enough that nobody will have an entrenched market
position, and the industry will come together to forge the brave new
world - Pollyanna still lives.

I truly hope we can do better at this than the French, often held up as
a beacon for competitor FTTH builds , as reported just last week:

http://www.totaltele.com/View.aspx?ID=444719&t=2&en=1
-------------------

    Arcep publishes new proposals to ease FTTH stalemate amid low FTTH
    subscriber figures; says telcos can set own wholesale rates.

France looked set to be a European leader in FTTH deployment when in
2006 Iliad announced it would invest EUR1 billion in FTTH networks by
2012, driving its competitors to plan investment.

Nearly three years on and only 170,000 homes subscribed to FTTH at the
end of 2008, of which 130,000 were cable customers, according to figures
published by Arcep on Tuesday. That is from an addressable market of
550,000 homes passed within 20,500 apartment buildings, the French
regulator said.

One sticking point has been which technology to deploy: point-to-point,
which is favoured by Iliad's Free, or GPON, which is being promoted by
France Telecom.

Following a three-month trial that ended 31 March, Arcep has decided to
let operators decide which network technology to install, albeit with a
number of provisos.

After three years of industry infighting (including the regulator), the
regulator has decided to allow operators to choose the FTTH technology
they deploy, and thus have incompatible network builds in different areas.

Paul.