[AusNOG] [LINK] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Mark Smith marksmith at adam.com.au
Wed Mar 18 09:59:49 EST 2009

Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Not sure about your argument.
>
> The main problem is that at the moment that the standards that deliver
> v6 broadband in a general sense are still all draft and, at the moment,
> don't quite work together.  (Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but ONLY if
> you can actually send me a complete set of receipes to do it as at least
> one Broadband Forum member has told me it can't be done yet).  The main
> sticking point is prefix delegation and how that works in an end-user's
> network.

What is the particular issue? Cisco routers support DHCP based prefix
delegation, including automatically configuring downstream interfaces
with the announced /48. It's a solved problem.

> Once this is fixed and people stop having pissing matches about who wins
> (AutoConf, DHCPv6 etc) we'll be sweet and the CPE vendors can finish
> their work.

DHCPv6 is considered the most likely deployment model. RAs (i.e.
AutoConf) are generally considered only to bootstrap basic IPv6
networking, for any thing else e.g. NTP config, DNS servers,
prefix-delegation etc. DHCPv6 is considered to be the advanced end-node
configuration protocol.

There is some lobbying to "bloat" up RAs with these types of options,
however I think it is probably because people are a bit set in their
view that if you use DHCPv6 methods it means you have to set up a
separate server to the router. Of course, DHCP doesn't require that, as
plenty of ADSL CPE shows.

> (Yes, you can do this in the simple case with static ranges etc, but
> that doesn't scale and doesn't work for normal people like my parents).

What do you mean by doesn't scale and doesn't work for you parents?

> MMC
>
> dasmo wrote:
>> Seems to me the problem is cash. ISPs won't eat it. Probably need it
>> subsidised by the government. Some transit providers still aren't ipv6
>> compatible, there's customer equiptment that needs to be replaced and
>> there's no authority setting a deadline like the digital tv system.
>> Plus, it's hard to explain the benefits to an end user who will most
>> likely see the issues now rather than a solution to an issue from the
>> future.
>>
>> Would be a better use of money than that stupid filter though.

>>> <snip>

>>> I don't think Internet end-users are aware of the problem, let a alone
>>> what it is, why its occurring, and what the consequences will be. They
>>> haven't been told what it is, and they don't know to ask for it.
>>>
>>> That seems to me to be a marketing problem. We need to get the message
>>> to the Internet end-user market that the Internet is heading towards a
>>> wall, and needs to be upgraded. We need to explain in very simple
>>> terms,
>>> what the problem is - "The Internet is running out of phone numbers!"
>>> (and then explain that public Internet addresses are like phone
>>> numbers)
>>> - I think should be a simple enough place to start.
>>>
>>> Who should run this campaign? ISOC or the IPv6 Forum (or both) I
>>> reckon.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Mark.