[AusNOG] IPv6 (was Happy Birthday .... AARnet)

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Tue Mar 17 22:56:42 EST 2009

On 17/03/2009, at 5:42 PM, dasmo wrote:

>> Once this is fixed and people stop having pissing matches about who
>> wins (AutoConf, DHCPv6 etc) we'll be sweet and the CPE vendors can
>> finish their work.

 From your perspective (i.e. many thousands of broadband subscribers),
if you can show me an autoconf setup that gives out DNS servers etc
then I think you'll have your answer.  From my perspective (i.e. many
thousands of content providing end systems), if I can show myself an
autoconf setup that will populate the DNS so the servers are reachable
via the Internet then I'll have my answer.

Hmmm, perhaps waiting for autoconf isn't the best option here ......

Looks like we'll be following what we do for v4.  Static v6 addresses
and a pre-configured first hop (probably a link local to hsrp or vrrp
in this case) looks like the winner.  But, as we've discussed many
times before, the technicalities of getting a packet to traverse a
path between 2 end-systems is nothing compared to the complexities of
making the OSS and billing software v6 capable.

The important thing here is that we all need to have a crack at this
thing.  The other option (i.e. not trying to deploy it) looks much,
much worse in the long run.  If everyone on this list hasn't at least
applied for a v6 allocation and run up an OSPFv3 / MPBGP config in
dynamips then I think we might be in a spot of trouble.

David