[AusNOG] [LINK] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Mark Prior mrp at mrp.net
Tue Mar 17 18:10:08 EST 2009

Narelle wrote:
> I think some of you guys are confusing ACSNet, CSIRONet and AARNet.
>
> Big difference is uucp vs IP.
>
> WIth AARNet in 89 we set out IP addressing plans and built network.
>
> In ACSNet and CSIRONet things were nailed together via serial links
> and uucp. I have a paper here on CSIRONet dating back to 71. Data was
> certainly transferred, and messages sent, even chat and email on
> ACSNet, but it was not IP.
>
> IP networks, when done in _public_ equals Internet... AARNet was first
> here in Australia...
>
> But yeah - munnari spanned both, didn't it?

I'm not confusing it. The 48k circuit went into a cisco AGS in Adelaide
and while it predated AARNet it became part of it. We didn't use UUCP
but we had ACSnet running over IP (SLIP) by that stage. SPEARnet was
using the Coloured Book protocols over X.25.

We also had DECnet running over AARNet as we had to renumber areas
twice, once when the University of Adelaide linked with SAIT and SACAE
and again when we wanted to connect to the other DECnet sites over AARNet.

Mark.