[AusNOG] VMWare (WAS: Re: Back of envelope II)

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Mar 9 04:40:33 EST 2009

    > One thing I've found with virtualisation is that the bottle neck is rarely cpu, but dram & storage performance .. and those things we can keep throwing money at easily.

We run ESX across a bit over a hundred Sun X2200s, and we find the same
thing...  We're putting 40GB of RAM in each one now, and will probably go
up to 64GB shortly.  We use Promise iSCSI arrays for storage, and all this
replaced Sun B1600 blade server chassis.  Like everyone else, we've been
very very happy with virtualization.

                                -Bill