[AusNOG] back of envelope sizing calculations

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Mar 5 15:56:25 EST 2009

Yep.
You can still just find a use for a Cisco 7206 with NSE-225.

Although our AGS+ hasn't been in production for A LONG time.

MMC

On 05/03/2009, at 2:58 PM, Craig Askings wrote:

> I suspect many an ISP that started with a single 7200 and a switch,
> still
> has it humming it away in their network years (and many expansions)
> later.
> It just slowly gets pushed further to the edge over time.
>
> Craig.
>
> On Wed, March 4, 2009 11:20 pm, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>> Skeeve's recommendation is a good one:
>>
>> 7206VXR-NPE-G1s are the swiss army knife - well debugged, well
>> understood, easy to obtain parts new and after market and will be
>> supported for a long time to come and easily handle full BGP tables.
>>
>> Even though they're no longer something we use in our core they are
>> now excellent PE routers for terminating customer sessions or smaller
>> LNSes etc.  We've got a frightening number still humming away and
>> unlikely to be replaced.  Because of this Cisco are unlikely to EOL
>> them for a LONG time to come (think of the ROI of that platform for
>> them).
>>
>> (We've got many dozens - I wouldn't want to try and count - it'd take
>> too long).
>>
>> The news G2s are nice as they have an extra GE port and much faster
>> VPN BUT remember they need SFPs (SFP slots only for 2 of the ports).
>>
>> MMC

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909